The Bridge Centers

The Bridge Centers
Empowering Empaths, Modern Meditation, Intuitive Sessions

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Normal is, as Normal Does

Today I wracked my brain thinking of what the next post should be about. I want this blog to be a resource for empaths and their families so I don't want to write for the sake of writing. Well ask and ye shall receive! Today someone asked the group this question and it broke my heart. "I'm an empath. Is this normal? It's awful. :-(" This single line of 8 words and a sad face absolutely broke my heart. I felt her pain. I felt her frustration. And honestly all I want to do is reach out and give her a big hug.

It's said that roughly 5% of the population are empaths, but others will tell you it's anywhere from 40-60%. Most say it's an inherited trait, but some completely disagree. Really, no one knows, and who cares! All you need to know is that we're here, we're real, and we have a purpose. All you have to do is search for "empath" and you'll see the proof. Most empaths don't even know of their abilities until someone points it out to them. Like me, many empaths assume everyone feels as sensitive as we do to the world around them. I know that's the biggest lie I've ever told myself.

In reality, not everyone cries at commercials or feels the pain and emotions of others like their own. Be it a deep connection with nature, animals, objects, or people, empaths are a pretty interesting bunch if I do say so myself. My own particular talents lie with nature, people, and objects. I can feel the needs of plants and I feel my best when I'm standing in the garden barefoot, walking through a forest, or swimming in the ocean. I feel the physical pain and emotions of other people like they're my own. This gets tricky because sometimes I can't tell if they're my emotions or someone else's. But on the flip side of this, I can usually tell when people are and are not genuine. This comes in VERY handy! Between you and me though... my connection with objects is the COOLEST! I love going in antique and second hand stores. It's like the things call to me. I run my fingertips across them or pick them up and I can feel the emotional connection, and sometimes the story behind it. I have a very slight empathic connection to animals, I have a strong intuition (especially in dreams), and I'm learning how to heal. It's funny because as I write this I think, "How did I not know I was an empath for so long?!" Is it wrong to want to go back in time and smack yourself? But again, I digress.

A big part of being an effective and healthy empath is knowing where your strengths lie. I know I don't have to focus on shielding myself around animals, but I do in crowds. I also know if someone is hurting, I can help them feel better. That's important to me because my life calling as a light worker is to counsel others. I also know that when it becomes overwhelming, all I have to do is take my shoes off and stick my bare feet to the earth. You should give that a try sometime. Just take off your shoes, touch your feet to the earth and let it all go. The earth will ground you and pull all that negativity out so you can shine brightest if you let it.

What kind of empath are you? Feel free to share in the comments. :)

In light and love;
~A
Photo credit: http://ladiesinthepink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Feet-grass.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Rose. I just found you today and I can not express my gratefulness enough! I just joined two groups on facebook and that was interesting, but your blog feels so good, so right on, Thank You!
    To answer your question I don't know what kind of Empath I am but, let me just describe what I can "do." I know right away if someone is "good" or "bad." I know when people aren't being truthful or there is more to a story, I feel people's emotional pain, I believe I absorb their pain because these people will feel better but I'm left heavy, sometimes in despair or "obsessed" with their issues. i also get "feelings" from areas or places and definitely objects and nature, not animals though. I'm 35 so I believe the way I protected myself is to shut down all my emotions, but that only lasted so long because that is not who I am, I care. So I am totally going to try your shielding technique in the morning and at night, and I have some jet which I love and kyanite and rose quartz and I'm gonna own this! Again, Thank You so much for this blog, I'm going to marathon read this I can tell. :) Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose I'm so happy you found me here and then joined the Facebook group. I certainly hope it's helping. Looking forward to chatting with you more!
      ~A

      Delete