The Bridge Centers

The Bridge Centers
Empowering Empaths, Modern Meditation, Intuitive Sessions

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Save the Clams!

Tonight on Day in the Life of an Empath I'm going to tell a story that may help some connect better with the empath in their lives or at least to understand better.

When I was young, I'd say about 10, my family decided to stop by the beach. Why stop at the beach in winter, well why not really? We walked the strip and enjoyed the quiet solitude of non-tourist season. My dad, my mom, my younger sister, and I walked to the water to see what low tide had left behind. To our shock, there were hundreds of large clams lining the beach as far as I could see. My family thought this was great! Free, fresh clams? Absolutely! (I should pause to mention that we're New Englanders. We LOVE seafood!) My dad grabbed a bag and they all started scooping them up to take them home to cook. After all, a few other locals were doing the same thing. I was HORRIFIED! I felt such a high level of emergency to save those clams, I almost had a panic attack. I can't explain it, but I had to do something right then and there.

I ran up and down the beach throwing them back into the ocean as far and as hard as I could. I couldn't let them be eaten like this! My arm was aching and tears of pure panic and sadness were streaming down my face. I looked like a crazy person while my family just watched. My poor father. I still remember the look of curiosity, amusement, and confusion he wore that afternoon. My sister just laughed at me, as siblings do. My mom hugged me and explained that there were hundreds and we eat clams all the time. My dad asked me what the difference was of us taking home these clams to cook and the ones already at the grocery store. Okay, so he had a point and that kind of rational thinking helped calm me down. That rationale was my first experience in shielding (something I still have to use at the grocery store and when eating meat).

Diversion and rational thinking can be a GREAT shield if you're in a pinch, especially if there are far too many clams, and later worms in the driveway, to save.

In light and love;
~A

No comments:

Post a Comment